Apr 9, 2009

Don't You Just Love Peach Cobbler?

Back in the day, holiday dinners were one big production. Everyone in our extended family was within an hour's drive to Stamford and each holiday, the family gathering rotated between my Aunt Rose's house and our house. There were more than 20 of us at any given time...my grandmother had 6 children and LOTS of grandchildren. Add to that a host of other relatives and friends and we had a party!

Food was a BIG part of these celebrations. Lots of work and preparation started the night before...snapping beans, peeling potatoes and cleaning the collard greens were just some of the jobs that had to get done. This is where my love of food and entertaining was born.

The men were probably hanging out on the porch, talking about the latest Chrysler or Buick they wanted to buy...the music was pumping on the stereo (CD's hadn't been born yet)...and my brother Billy or my cousin Kevin played the DJ role...

I Wish by Stevie Wonder
Serpentine Fire by Earth, Wind & Fire
Back in Love Again by L.T.D.
Best Of My Love by The Emotions


Remember?

Grandma Susie was always doing her thing in the baking department...Sweet Potato Pie, Lemon Pound Cake, and my favorite...Peach Cobbler.

As I prepare for my favorite holiday of the year, I can't help but to share these memories with you. I've shared these traditions with my family out here in Arizona and it helps me not to miss my east coast family so much.

Over the next few days I'll share recipes of some of my favorites...hopefully you can try them out and create some memories of your own.

This one is very close to my grandmother's recipe...I would give you hers but its all in my head! I cook by "touch and taste" as opposed to a recipe...



Big Mama's Peach Cobbler (Don't forget the vanilla ice cream! Daddy always did!)

Ingredients

1/4 c. butter
4 c. peeled & sliced peaches
1/2 c. sugar
1 tbsp. plus 2/3 c. baking mix
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tbsp. brown sugar, firmly packed
2 tbsp. milk

Directions

In 1-quart shallow casserole, combine peaches, sugar, 1 tablespoon baking mix and cinnamon.

In medium bowl, mix remaining 2/3 cup baking mix with brown sugar. Cut in butter until mixture is size of small peas.

Stir in milk until moistened.

Drop by spoonfuls onto peaches.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into crust comes out clean.

Let stand 5 minutes. 6 servings.

Enjoy!

No comments: